"What is the AUP?"
An AUP is an Acceptable Use Policy, also commonly referred to as a Fair Use Policy.
All customers have an AUP in order to ensure that all users have the best possible Internet experience. We reserve the right to manage users who are deemed to be maliciously or excessively abusing their line.
Amobia Communications (Pty) Ltd (“Amobia”) is committed to complying with legislation and ensuring all subscribers have the ability to use its network and the Internet without interference or harassment from other users. Amobia’s Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) is designed to help achieve these goals.
By using any of Amobia’s services, subscribers agree to comply with this AUP and to remain responsible for their use. Amobia reserves the right to change or modify the terms of the AUP at any time, by posting an updated version on its website at www.amobia.com, and subscribers are deemed to have accepted any changes to the updated AUP by their continued use of Amobia’s services.
Scope of the AUP
The AUP applies to Amobia services that provide (or include) Internet services, including but not limited to any service providing access to the Internet, hosting services (data/content hosting, server hosting, web hosting, e-mail services, etc) or any other services provided over the Internet or wireless data networks (collectively "the Services").
General Prohibitions: Amobia prohibits use of the Services in any way that is: i) unlawful, incitement to commit criminal acts, ii) harmful to or interferes with use of Amobia's network or systems, or the network of any other provider; iii) interferes with the use or enjoyment of services received by others; iv) infringes intellectual property rights; v) results in the publication of threatening or offensive material which is harmful, obscene, discriminatory, defamatory, or constitutes hate speech; or vi) constitutes abuse, a security risk or a violation of privacy.
Failure to adhere to the rules, guidelines or agreements applicable to search engines, subscription Web services, chat areas, bulletin boards, Web pages, applications, or other services that are accessed via a link from an Amobia-branded website or from a website that contains Amobia-branded content is a violation of this AUP.
Unlawful Activities: The Services shall not be used in connection with any criminal, civil or administrative violation of any applicable local, provincial, national or international law, treaty, court orders, ordinance, regulation or administrative rules.
Violation of Intellectual Property Rights: The Services shall not be used to publish, submit/receive upload/download, post, use, copy or otherwise reproduce, transmit, re-transmit, distribute or store any content/material or to engage in any activity that infringes, misappropriates or otherwise violates the intellectual property rights or privacy or publicity rights of Amobia or any other individual, group or entity, including but not limited to any rights protected by any copyright, patent, trademark laws, trade secret, trade dress, right of privacy, right of publicity, moral rights or other intellectual property right now known or later recognized by statute, judicial decision or regulation.
Threatening Material or Content: The Services shall not be used to host, post, transmit, or re-transmit any content or material (or to create a domain name or operate from a domain name) that harasses or threatens the health or safety of others. In addition, for those Services that utilize Amobia-provided web or content hosting, Amobia reserves the right to decline to provide such services if the content is determined by Amobia (at its sole discretion) to be obscene, indecent, hateful, malicious, racist, defamatory, fraudulent, libelous, treasonous, excessively violent or promoting the use of violence or otherwise harmful to others.
Inappropriate Interaction with Minors: The Services should not be used for the purpose of committing any offences against or relating to a child or in way that would constitute or promote unlawful interaction with children.
Child Pornography: The Services shall not be used to publish, submit/receive, upload/download, post, use, copy or otherwise produce, transmit, distribute or store child pornography. Suspected violations of this prohibition may be reported to Amobia at the following e-mail address: email@example.com. Amobia will report any discovered violation of this prohibition to the South African Police Services and take steps to remove child pornography (or otherwise block access to the content determined to contain child pornography) from its servers.
Spam/E-mail Abuse:Spam/E-mail abuse is prohibited using the Services. Spam/E-mail abuse shall include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
• sending multiple unsolicited electronic mail messages or "mail-bombing" to one or more recipient;
• sending unsolicited commercial e-mail, or unsolicited electronic messages directed primarily at the advertising or promotion of products or services;
• sending unsolicited electronic messages with petitions for signatures or requests for charitable donations, or sending any chain mail related materials;
• sending bulk electronic messages without identifying, within the message, a reasonable means of opting out from receiving additional messages from the sender;
• sending electronic messages, files or other transmissions that exceed contracted-for capacity or that create the potential for disruption of the Amobia network or of the networks with which Amobia interconnects, by virtue of quantity, size or otherwise;
• using another site's mail server to relay mail without the express permission of that site;
• using another computer, without authorization, to send multiple e-mail messages or to retransmit e-mail messages for the purpose of misleading recipients as to the origin or to conduct any of the activities prohibited by this AUP;
• using IP addresses that the subscriber does not have a right to use;
• collecting the responses from unsolicited electronic messages;
• maintaining a site that is advertised via unsolicited electronic messages, regardless of the origin of the unsolicited electronic messages;
• sending messages that are harassing or malicious, or otherwise could reasonably be predicted to interfere with another party's quiet enjoyment of the Services or the Internet (e.g., through language, frequency, size or otherwise of the messages);
• using distribution lists containing addresses that include those who have opted out;
• sending electronic messages that do not accurately identify the sender, the sender's return address, the e-mail address of origin, or other information contained in the subject line or header;
• falsifying packet header, sender, or user information whether in whole or in part to mask the identity of the sender, originator or point of origin;
• generate complaints;
• intercepting, redirecting or otherwise interfering or attempting to interfere with e-mail intended for third parties;
• knowingly deleting any author attributions, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in a file that the user mails or sends;
• using, distributing, advertising, transmitting, or otherwise making available any software program, product, or service that is designed to violate this AUP or the AUP of any other Internet Service Provider, including but not limited to the facilitation of the means to spam.
• Amobia reserves the right to establish policies, rules and limitations from time to time concerning the use of the Services. Users must comply with any bandwidth, data storage and other limitations imposed by Amobia at its sole discretion. Failure to comply with these rules will result in the user’s service being restricted, suspended or terminated, at Amobia’s sole discretion.
• Amobia reserves the right to limit the number of emails that any user may send in any given period or to limit the total message volume (amount of data) sent per hour.
• Unless subscribed to a business package, users may not use the Services for anything other than their own personal use.
• Unless subscribed to a business product and permitted in terms of such business product, users may not resell any services, receive any charge or benefit for the use of any services or provide Internet access or any other feature of the services to any third party or in any other way exploit the Service for any commercial purposes. For example, a user cannot provide Internet access to others through a dial up, ADSL or other connection, host shell accounts over the Internet, provide e-mail or news services, or send a news feed. Users may not run a server (including game servers) in connection with the Services. Users may not provide network services to others via the Services. In addition, users are prohibited from running servers for mail, http, ftp, irc and multi-user interactive forums. Users may not share the Services with any others.
• Users may not restrict, inhibit or interfere with the ability of any person to access, use or enjoy the Internet or any services, or create an unusually large burden on Amobia’s network or the network of any other service provider, including, without limitation, continuously uploading or downloading streaming video or audio, continuous FTP uploading or downloading, or otherwise generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others' ability to send or retrieve information, or to use the Services in an abusive manner in connection with any unlimited packages, options or promotions.
• Amobia reserves the right to establish policies, rules and limitations, from time to time, concerning the use of any service. Users must comply with any bandwidth, data storage and other limitations Amobia may impose, in its sole discretion. Failure to comply with these rules will result in the user’s service being restricted, suspended or terminated, at Amobia’s sole discretion.
• Amobia will manage bandwidth usage to the best of its ability during peak periods, however the user is aware that it remains a best effort service.
• Amobia reserves the right to manage its network in order to optimize its efficiency for the benefit of all Amobia subscribers, including, without limitation, by way of the following: rate limiting (speed), rejection or removal of spam or otherwise unsolicited bulk e-mail, anti-virus mechanisms, protocol filtering and imposing restrictions on the user’s use. Amobia may take any other action as it deems appropriate in order to help ensure the integrity of the network experience for all subscribers, including limiting any user’s data traffic by controlling their network and/or bandwidth usage.
• Users may not use the Services for unattended automated operation, unless otherwise expressly agreed by Amobia. Users may stay connected as long as they are actively using that connection. Users further agree not to use Internet applications for the purpose of simulating network activity to avoid session inactivity disconnection.
• Amobia does not make any express or implied representations, warranties or guarantees regarding the availability, accuracy, reliability, timeliness, quality or security of any services.
• Amobia are committed to provide users with uninterrupted services. However, Amobia cannot guarantee that service and the allocated capacity will always be available.
• Amobia can terminate the service at any time if it decides to discontinue the service offering for any reason whatsoever, without any further liability to any users.
Subscribers are responsible for ensuring and maintaining security of their systems and the machines that connect to and use the Service(s), including implementation of necessary patches and operating system updates.
The Services may not be used to interfere with, gain unauthorized access to, or otherwise violate the security of Amobia’s (or another party's) server, network, network access, personal computer or control devices, software or data, or other system, or to attempt to do any of the foregoing. System or network security violations shall include, but are not limited to:
• unauthorized monitoring, scanning or probing of network or system or any other action aimed at the unauthorized interception of data or harvesting of e-mail addresses;
• hacking, attacking, gaining access to, breaching, circumventing or testing the vulnerability of the user authentication or security of any host, network, server, personal computer, network access and control devices, software or data without express authorization of the owner of the system or network;
• impersonating others or secretly or deceptively obtaining personal information of third parties (phishing, etc.);
• using any program, file, script, command or transmission of any message or content of any kind, designed to interfere with a terminal session, the access to or use of the Internet or any other means of communication;
• distributing or using tools designed to compromise security (including but not limited to SNMP tools), including cracking tools, password guessing programs, packet sniffers or network probing tools (except in the case of authorized legitimate network security operations);
• knowingly uploading or distributing files that contain viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancel bots, corrupted files, root kits or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another's computer, network system or other property, or be used to engage in modem or system hi-jacking;
• engaging in the transmission of pirated software;
• with respect to dial-up accounts, using any software or device designed to defeat system time-out limits or to allow subscriber's account to stay logged on while the subscriber is not actively using the IP Services or using such account for the purpose of operating a server of any type;
• using manual or automated means to avoid any use limitations placed on the IP Services;
• providing guidance, information or assistance with respect to causing damage or security breach to Amobia's network or systems, or to the network of any other service provider;
• failure to take reasonable security precautions to help prevent violation(s) of this AUP.
Subscribers remain solely and fully responsible for the content of any material posted, hosted, downloaded/uploaded, created, accessed or transmitted using the Services. Amobia has no responsibility for any material created on the Amobia's network or accessible using the Services, including content provided on third-party websites linked to the Amobia network. Such third-party website links are provided as Internet navigation tools for informational purposes only, and do not constitute in any way an endorsement by Amobia of the content(s) of such sites.
Subscribers are responsible for taking prompt corrective action(s) to remedy a violation of AUP and to help prevent similar future violations.
AUP Enforcement and Notice
Subscriber's failure to observe the guidelines set forth in this AUP will be regarded as a material breach and may result in Amobia taking action against such subscriber, which may either be a warning, a suspension or termination of Subscriber's services. When reasonably possible, Amobia may provide the Subscriber with a notice of an AUP violation allowing the subscriber to promptly correct such violation.
If the Services are used in a way that Amobia, in its reasonable discretion, believe violates this Acceptable Use Policy or any of its other rules or limitations, Amobia may take any responsive actions it deems appropriate. Such actions may include, without limitation, temporary or permanent removal of content, cancellation of newsgroup posts, filtering of Internet transmissions, and/or the immediate limitation, restriction, suspension or termination of all or any portion of the services or your account.
Should users engage in any one or more of the above activities, which shall be determined in Amobia's reasonable discretion and which decision shall be final, then Amobia shall be entitled, without prejudice to any other rights it may have, to take any responsive action it deems appropriate, and such actions may include, without limitation:
• without notice, temporary or permanent limitation, restriction or suspension of the user’s access to the Service concerned;
• terminate all agreements with the user with immediate effect;
• bill the user for any costs incurred by Amobia as a result of the offending activity, including (without being limited to) bandwidth used, administration costs, downtime, usage of Amobia's name or registered domain names and CPU cycles; and
• disclose information relating to the offending activity as may be required under the circumstances.
Amobia has no obligation to monitor content of any materials distributed or accessed using the Services. However, Amobia may monitor content of any such materials as necessary to comply with applicable laws, regulations or other governmental or judicial requests; or to protect the Amobia network and its subscribers.
Any complaints (other than claims of copyright or trademark infringement) regarding violation of this AUP by an Amobia subscriber or user should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org, and should include details that would assist Amobia in investigating and resolving such complaint.